Male
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-11-29

View user profile http://decibels.forumsmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Favorite Jazz and Blues artist

Post by Heiny on December 9th 2007, 7:52 am

Alton Glenn Miller

His reign as the most popular bandleader in the U.S. came relatively late in his career and was relatively brief, lasting only about three and a half years, from the spring of 1939 to the fall of 1942. But during that period he utterly dominated popular music, and over time he has proven the most enduring figure of the swing era, with reissues of his recordings achieving gold record status 40 years after his death. Miller developed a distinctive sound in which a high-pitched clarinet carried the melody, doubled by a saxophone section playing an octave lower, and he used that sound to produce a series of hits that remain definitive examples of swing music. Miller's approach is not much appreciated by jazz fans, who prefer bands that allow for greater improvisation than was found in his highly disciplined, rigorously rehearsed unit. But he brought the swing style of popular music to a level of sophistication and commercial acceptance it had not previously achieved and would not see again after his untimely passing.

I'd say this is my favorite old Jazz musician..inspired me to play trombone even Very Happy
Heiny
The Admins Boss
The Admins Boss

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top